Sunday, August 04, 2002

 
Lots of Time with Nothing to Do/Lots of Time to Spend with You
It’s so quiet in the street
You can hear the sound of feet walking by
I’ll put coffee on to brew
We can have a cup or two
And do what other people do
On Sunday morning…
Sunday morning…Sunday morning
Sunday Sunday
I love Sunday…Sunday morning

- "Sunday Morning" by Spanky and Our Gang, circa 1968

I'm not quite ready to take on the big political issues of the day, so let me praise some perfect Sunday morning music . Even though they had several Top 40 hits, Spanky and Our Gang never quite achieved fame and fortune. In their all-too-short chart life, however, they recorded a number of memorable tunes, including the ultimate portrait of an early Sabbath morn, "Sunday Morning." Every time I hear it, I wanna lie there in bed as I slowly achieve consciousness -- as opposed to the racing around so common to the other six days -- then get up, pour myself a glass of iced tea, and slowly sip it as I peruse the Sunday New York Times.

Ahhh, life is good.

Spanky and Our Gang's Greatest Hits CD is highly recommended, not just for the familiar Top 40 tunes, but also for several songs that showcase their jazz and blues influences. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for their versions of Yip Harburg's Depression-era protest song, "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime," and Hoagy Carmichael's masterpiece, "Stardust."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?